Friday, February 22, 2008

Weight loss milestone



Since the beginning of the year, I have taken it upon myself to eat clean and exercise more. The goal: to get back down to 185 lbs. Friday is my "official" weigh-in date and today marked the day I came in under 200 lbs. I consider it a milestone because it has been at least 3-4 years since I have been here.

I am no stranger to eating clean and exercising because I performed similarly back in the summer of 2004 by running and dieting. When I was in college, I lifted weights. The only difference between then and now is that, in addition to cardio (running), I have incorporated bodyweight exercises to replace fat with muscle mass. The combination of the two should produce the best results.

This past week I decided to start HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on my cardio days. Let me tell you, this is some hardcore exercising! Best of all, it is most effective in burning fat, even after you finish exercising. The treadmill that I use has some pre-programmed runs that vary the inclines and such. Up until now, I have used the "Weight Loss" program, and even tried the HIIT on that program. What a mistake! Kicked my ass, for sure. Today I'll just set a certain incline and then try to complete the intervals.

No comments: